Formal Hall (often just ‘Formal’) is an amazing three-course meal held in the place of regular dinner every Friday evening.
A normal Formal costs £7.90, payable by Bod card. This does not include drinks (typically wine), which people may bring from home. College wine will be available for sale as well. Dress code is lounge suit or equivalent (gowns are not needed). You must arrive by 19:00; the door to Hall on the Quad is locked when dinner starts. Dinner starts at 19:10, and people can sit where they want (not including High Table or any reserved tables).
If you are a Corpus undergraduate or a visiting student, you may sign up for Formal below. There are a limited number of spaces, and formal is often oversubscribed. After sign-up has closed, the Domestic Officer will hold a ballot to determine who gets on the formal list. People with priority are allocated seats first, then the others. Within these groups, the ballot is random.
- Sign-up opens on Sunday and closes on Wednesday for Formal on Friday.
- You may sign up as a group by selecting a common group number. Only five people can sign up to a single group; groups will either all receive places or no members will receive places.
- You may gain priority either through the DO’s discretion, Committee privilege, or for a 21st birthday. Priority does not extend across groups.
- To cancel your Formal Hall sign-up, please email the DO.
- If a space opens up, the Domestic Officer will send an email to the JCR, and the space will be given to the first person to reply. Note that the space may include certain dietary requirements.
- You are allowed up to two guests, unless it is your 21st, in which case you are allowed up to ten guests. Please tell the Domestic Officer in advance if you are inviting a large group for your 21st.
- You will have to pay for your guests with your Bod card (unless you give the DO the names of your guests who are College members).
- Always give any dietary requirements of your guests in the dietary requirements box!
- All guests must be 16 or older.
- For Halfway Hall, a Formal halfway through Hilary term, sign-up is only for 2nd years on a 3/4 year course, 3rd years on a 4 year course and 3rd year medics. Preference will be given to 2nd years and no guests are allowed.
- For Finalists’ Formal and Christmas Formals, priority will go to leavers.
- For other special occasions, priority may be given to certain groups. This will be advertised in advance.
- There are usually no formals after 5th week of Trinity term.
- Stand behind your chair when High Table enter.
- Stand while grace is said. Grace is said by the Grace Master or a scholar appointed by them.
- Don’t be a dick to staff.
- Stand behind your chair when High Table leave.
If there are any other questions or issues, please contact the Domestic Officer.
The table at the bottom of this page allows you to see who else has signed up to Formal. For reasons out of our control, there is a five minute or so delay between completing the form and your name appearing on the ballot below.