

JCR Meeting - 1st November 2020 MT20 WK 4

Chair: Matt Carlton

Secretary: Augy Allain-Labon

Returning Officer: Rhiannon Percy

1. Report from the President

It's been a more chill two weeks than before; I've been in self-iso which has limited what I've been able to do. Attended GB, Equalities Committee - Zaman is getting college to say exactly when and by whom each thing they promised to combat racism will be done. Trying to get social events happening, with Karaoke Thursdays eg. I'll talk to college about vac res.

Thanks to Eugenie for organising C&S week.

College haven't forgotten BLM, and they are making concrete steps to improve.

If you have a tutor being mean, message me and I'll take it up with Mark. Some tutors aren't being understanding.

Some colleges are allowing room swaps now in advance of the lockdown. We'll try and discuss this with college in the meeting.

Gemma: We had an experience where we were treated as an administrative nightmare - we were called 'chaos', 'a confusion', with no understanding. We were treated as an inconvenience. An apology would be nice.

Matt: Andy tried to apologise, and apologised for the confusion (not necessarily the tone).

Gemma: We get that it's stressful for them, but it is for us too. People have felt more like prisoners than people under their care.

2. Officer Reports

Elliot: Starting to plan the bike cull

Augy: Organised Matriculation photographs. Wrote short report on the marquee for Sara Watson. Ran the Halloween film showing.

Eugenie: Chasing up funding applications/risk assessments, planning c&s week (making timetable etc.). Half or more are virtual so they'll def still happen, but there is a chance that outside sports events will happen, especially before Thursday. Indoor events probs not apart from choir on Tuesday. Golf ranges etc. will be forced to close (govt already announced it). Pool was always a long-shot; now def not. Kickabout on Tuesday will be great.

Gaby: Nothing to report

Matty: Did a virtual school visit last Thursday with Imogen. Went quite well. Removes the embarrassment of asking questions because they're pre-submitted. Matt tried to look into if we can host children for free school meals, but there aren't any eligible schools nearby. We can hopefully send money/chef-power to LMH if they want to do it. Meeting with Katherine next week about interviews. It will all be online. We need to do our best to make it an ok experience for interviewees.

Sampada: did a jcr tea - pretty much is all

Grace: Began budgeting for the quarantine bags. There will be a google form when they can select stuff. We'll recommend that people go for long-term entertainments. Encouraging people to reach out to support if they need it. Florence: it's a lot of money to spend on people who don't need the subsidising. But the kindness of the gesture is the most important thing. Also welfare tea isn't running so there's money. Melissa: it's college's responsibility to provide things. If we're doing a gesture it should be a standardised gesture. Florence: can we get people to buy things for themselves. Matt: if there's anything that Welfare can do specifically for people in isolation by themselves (as opposed to households isolating together), we should prioritise them. We're doing it case-by-case since households are different sizes. Matt: there's a finite amount we can spend. Florence: welfare spending has to be accessible to everyone.

Thom: Nothing to report

Rhiannon: Started planning husts for the election. E&E election again this week. Emma might run in 3 weeks' time. Could hustings possibly happen in person? Maybe, if we sanitise the mics. Husts are before the end of the lockdown. We could potentially delay the election past the 2nd, but lockdown might be after that anyway. <https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-national-restrictions-from-5-november> (from Ryan). We don't know how far the unis exemption extends. Michaelmas tends to have more contested positions, so it would be great if we can do some at least in person.

Tyrell: Nothing to report

Emma: Had a v productive meeting w Andy and Jimmy. Did a motion about cutlery. Looking into getting fridges for people on the meal plan. Jimmy is a lovely man. JCR teas now? Probably no but we'll wait for HE guidance. Change it to once every other day to improve turn out, and provide activities.

Zaman: Pushed the college equalities committee to come up with a plan on how to increase the number of BME (esp Black) academics—they committed to having a plan in place by the next meeting (beginning of HT)

Beth: Have some meetings with Judith scheduled this week to talk about welfare with COVID etc. Have looked into ordering welfare supplies from the SU and am currently putting together a google form to distribute them

Catherine: Started disabilities group. Attended SU DisCam meeting

Ryan: Nothing to report

Sorcha: Attended SU meeting, results about internationals given vac res yet to be posted, - will update when I know more (esp regarding the Internationals/COVID motion). I'm assuming it will be passed. SU meetings are boring.

Laura: Nothing to report

Melissa: Attended library subcommittee

Florence: I've just done finals, and am now paying people back. Grace working out the logistics of the goody bags.

3. Questions to Officers

4. Reading from the Poet Laureate

LOCKDOWN

As we watch,
locking up for the last time
for now, so they tell us:
but shutters down for longer than
seems right
feels less complete
than locking up:
maybe, by virtue of the fact that things are not
up and running.
(That's allowed, of course, in twos - though a trip to the Headington one won't be.)
We are mandated to exercise control.

Yet keeping your distance proves anything but
social; allegiance made
so much harder

when it leads to keeping yourself to yourself.

When instead of cracking open clams

or a bottle

made delicious

with the juice of good conversation poured

over

we,

humans,

flawed,

Turn into those odd metaphors.

I know

my restricted presence can't hold

a candle

to the hearth-like warmth

of hugs, huddles round hot coffee and hands held. Still, if

it can but bring something

of a spark

to the faces belonging to a few dear names

around me, nonetheless then

am I fulfilled.

5. Ratifications from Previous Meetings

BME Welfare Officer

This JCR notes:

- BME students at Corpus, and in the wider university, face specific challenges that non-BME students do not

- such students may feel that it is easier to talk to people with similar experiences about such issues
- issues that relate to one's race can have a negative impact on wellbeing
- with the current three welfare roles, there may not be anyone who is **BME** in a welfare role, discouraging **BME** students from talking about the aforementioned issues with any welfare reps
- other colleges, like St Anne's, have created a **BME** welfare rep role to better support their **BME** students
- just as some students might feel more comfortable talking to a (specifically) male or female welfare officer, the same may be true for a **BME** welfare officer
- many colleges (such as Trinity) have five or six welfare officers, as opposed to Corpus's three

This JCR believes:

- it is important that the welfare reps in general reflect the student population at Corpus
- the existence of this **BME Welfare Rep** role should not serve to preserve the whiteness of other welfare roles, but rather to ensure better representation
- not all people who fall under 'BME' face the same issues at Corpus, but that this role would make it easier to talk to someone with potentially similar experiences or a shared understanding of what it is like to be **BME** at Oxford

This JCR resolves to:

- Create a new role of "BME Welfare Officer" with the same Standing Orders as the Gender-Neutral Welfare Officer, but specifying that this officer must be **BME**
- Mandate the Returning Officer to make any necessary adjustments to the Standing Orders and Constitution

Proposed: Gemma Daubeney

Seconded: Emma Donohue

Vote:

20 Yes

3 Abstain

Motion passes

6. Constitutional Amendments

7. Motions of No Confidence

8. Charities Motions

9. Monetary Motions

10. Motions as submitted

Cutlery Chaos

This JCR notes:

- Hall has to give out disposable cutlery with meals
- Hall has been giving out plastic cutlery in an effort to keep costs down. That plastic cutlery is single-use.
- A box of plastic cutlery only costs £18 whereas recyclable wooden cutlery costs £75
- Plastic is bad for the environment - only 9% of the world's plastic has ever been recycled!!

This JCR believes:

- The best solution would be for JCR members to bring their own cutlery to Hall as no waste is better than recyclable waste
- The JCR has an opportunity to demonstrate to college that we support them in their environmental endeavours rather making them take on a greater cost to do so when budgets are tight

- The 5p plastic bag charge in supermarkets has been effective in making people bring their own bags rather than plastic ones

This JCR resolves:

- To mandate the Domestic Officer to encourage the JCR to bring their own cutlery when eating Hall food
- To support Jimmy in his proposal to offer recyclable cutlery for a 25p charge

Proposed: Emma Donohue

Seconded: Gemma Daubeney

Debate:

Ryan: Where is the 25p from?

Emma: A box of 300 costs £75. He's not making a profit from this.

Sampada: It's inconvenient, especially if people don't live in college, to bring your own cutlery.

Matt: When the new E&E rep is elected, there will be an E&E committee with money from the Pelican Fund.

Emma: It's expensive because all colleges are using the same stuff.

Melissa: Can we make up the difference rather than the entire cost from the Pelican Fund?

Emma: I'll check if we're paying the difference

Gemma: Could there be a cutlery storage facility in college?

Emma: Pidge yourself cutlery.

Matt: It comes to a matter of priorities - fairness or environment?

Emma: The money comes out of Jimmy's overall budget, not a separate environmental budget or something.

Vote:

16 Yes

1 No

3 Abstain

Motion passes

11. Emergency Motions

12. Any other Business

Augy to announce Extraordinary Meeting